Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Easy Marinara Sauce

When I lived in Buenos Aires there was a fresh pasta shop near my house where I would buy the most wonderful marinara sauce. Alas, I haven't been able to find a good marinara sauce here in Santiago so I combed most of my recipe books for an easy and tasty homemade marinara sauce.

My girls have recently started eating marinara sauce. However, they still don't like to taste the onions, so what I do is make a chunky sauce for us and then purée half of the sauce for them. For our adult version, I also add some fresh basil, which is to be avoided in the child's version since it's green!

Ingredients:

1 can tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
1 onion
1 red pepper
2 garlic cloves
salt, pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp thyme

In a pan, cook the diced onion, pepper and crushed garlic in a little olive oil. Add the can of tomatoes and the tomato paste, and condiment it with some salt, pepper, sugar and thyme (you can add paprika if you want).

Let it simmer for 20 minutes.

Kids' version:

When the sauce cools down blend it on high.


Adults' version:

After you turn off the heat, add some diced fresh basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment