Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Healthier version of the zucchini muffins


I received this e mail from my best friend: "Your blog has truly inspired me. I made the muffins today and RJ loves them. He keeps asking for more cake and he is convinced that mommy mixed the icing into the cake and that is why the cake has green specks. I just wrapped them individually in wax paper and packaged them in Ziploc bags so I can thaw them out 1 x 1 for breakfast or snack etc." She not only tweaked my recipes but also made it healthier.

She also wrote:

First of all, since I didn’t have self rising flour I added 1/2t baking soda, 1/2t salt, and 1/4t baking powder. Secondly, I added 1c all purpose flour and 1/2c whole wheat flour because I am always trying to pump up the fiber in all our foods. Since I added the whole wheat flour, I added 1/3c oil instead of 1/4c and another egg to moisten the mixture more. Lastly, I added 2t vanilla because I am a vanilla addict, but I followed all the rest of your recipe and added everything as per your instructions. They came out amazing!

Ingredients:

1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup organic whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/4 tsp orange peel
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

In a bowl, beat the sugar, zucchini and egg. Add the oil and orange peel.

Stir in the flour and cinnamon into the mixture and fold in the nuts/raisins.

Pour the batter in a muffin pan and bake in a 350°F oven for 18-20 min or until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I never would have thought of making any sweets with zucchini! They sure sound healthy ^-^

    ReplyDelete